Sunday, March 10, 2013

Hate Your Home Syndrome! (and something lovely for the laundry room!)

McG and I are home now from a ten day vacation in sunny Florida.  The temperatures were not too warm when we arrived there, but they quickly warmed up and we were able to sit by the pool and relax - oh, and work on our tan!!

We visited a lovely flea market while we were there, and also checked some stores that we don't have near our little town here in Canada...a decorator's heaven...West Elm, Pottery Barn and William Sonoma and Crate and Barrel! In the past I have only been able to dream about going there and peruse their online goodies.

I also found a Ross store - which is much like Winner's here in Canada.  Here I purchased a new rug for the laundry room...McG has been working hard on this project, and it seems to have come to a stand still.  I will be sure and post some of the progress soon, but in the meantime, here is the lovely I found!



The rug is 3 x 4 feet in size and an amazing buy at just $10.99.  I also purchased a turquoise owl there who has a new home on the mantel between my kitchen and dining room.  Here's a closer look at the pattern...


I am so thrilled with it.  I came home last night and immediately got it out of the bag and put in on the kitchen floor to admire it...That's when this guy decided he needed to try it out...



He seems to like it.  I moved it down to the laundry room today and stood and stared at it some more...I could decorate my whole house around it, I love it that much!

OK - now on to the Hate Your Home Syndrome...does anybody else get like that when they get back from vacation?  I don't know if its because I've been living in a hotel room for ten days, having someone else clean it everyday for me...but being at home today was very frustrating.  I said out loud today that I hate my house...something I have never said.  McG was not impressed with me since he works so hard to make all my ideas come true here at home.
 My son accused me of having hate your home syndrome - when I asked him what that was he said its what people get after they have been taken care while on vacation...my subconscious wanted not to be cleaning and cooking and all the things that I have NOT been doing for ten days while I was on vacation..I don't know if its an actual affliction but I think he might be right - but what I worry about more is that as I walked around my home today it felt very cluttered...I felt like a hoarder - AND - NO I'M NOT A HOARDER...but I do have a lot of knick-knacks and stuff hanging around...I have counters that I cannot seem to keep de-cluttered...and rooms that seem to just hold stuff.  It could have been that there was suitcases and duffel bags hanging around waiting to be put away.  And coolers airing out before they are tucked back under the stairs, but I felt claustrophobic in my house today.

As I continue to ponder this phenomanom - just wondering if anyone else gets like this after vacation??  I'd love to hear from you if you do, and hear your suggestions on how to get over this feeling!

Cheryl

6 comments:

  1. I have more "I hate this room" than I hate my house days. I still have 4 rooms that have to be redone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you got to enjoy some of Florida's beauty and warmth. I am a Florida transplant and have no regrets. Luv it! Not sure where you went... but glad the weather complied. Guess you were not in my neck of the(woods) State . I am in the North Central part and on Thursday morning, I awoke to 28*F.. Brrr.... but it did warm up a bit to the 50's.
    Settling back in ... it can be a bore....
    Cheers, Gee

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a love hate relationship with my home and my things once in a while, but I'm working on it. Love the colors of your rug, such a pretty design~

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for your comments ladies...we did enjoy our trip - and I'm working on re-arranging some furniture and de-cluttering a bit in the hopes of hating my house a little less this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cheryl- I know that feeling too- once when we vacationed in acharming little beach house- I came home thinking- why cant our house be that easily tamed? In the mornings, I made the bed and put our clothes away and the whole place looked straight and tidy! I decided the problem at home IS the "stuff"! If I could start over with the place all fixed and ONLY had with me the clothes we west and toiletries we use- wouldn't it be so much easier? Well, I have not mastered this concept yet- I still love "the stuff" I guess! Lol! But it makes me think I should clean out closets, drawers, cabinets...all of it!!! Maybe one day....

    Oh and I love the places you got to shop!!! I have a Ross near me- love it! And TJMaxx! The rug has a "Jacobean" pattern. Many Waverly fabrics have that type floral/viney design! Love the colors!

    Thanks for sharing!
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excuse typos! *wear- not proofing- Yikes!

      Cheri

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog...please feel free to leave a comment or ask questions...and if you like this post - PLEASE SHARE!!!