Friday, September 27, 2013

Sharing Some Comfort - Food that is!!

Now that fall is officially here and in most parts of the country the temperatures are getting a bit cooler,
 it's time to think about cooking again.

Not the BBQ's of summer, although those were great
...it's time to get back into the kitchen and start using your stove and oven again...

This time of year is synonymous with comfort food...and in my family that means...

HOMEMADE MAC AND CHEESE!!

And - NO - I don't mean KD  - I mean ooey, gooey, cheesy -
 4 cheese Mac and Cheese.



First start out by making a rue - I use 1/4 cup butter and 1/4 flour 
- melt the butter first and then add the flour...cook it for about two minutes...

Then add 2 cups of milk (I used 1% - but use whatever you have on-hand) and also add some pepper 
- I don't measure just grind some fresh from the grinder. 
 Your mixture will look like this...



Next up is the SECRET INGREDIENT!!


Just a squirt of Dijon mustard. 
 I like the flavour it adds and it helps to colour the sauce as well.

Now onto the CHEESE!!

I try to use 4 different kinds. 
 This time it was cheddar, mozzarella, 
Swiss cheese (slices that were leftover from lunches this week)
 and Parmesan. 

 That is a 2/3 cup of Parmesan and about 4 ounces each of cheddar and mozzarella that I grated. 
 It is 2 slices of Swiss torn into pieces.



Just add it slowly to your milk mixture, whisking it in.
  Your mixture will start to thicken and get cheesy.



In a separate pan, cook your macaroni as per package directions.
  Don't cook them too much though as they will go in the oven
 and cook more once they are incorporated with the sauce.

Then combine them with the sauce 
and transfer to a Pyrex baking pan that has been sprayed or buttered.
Bake @ 350 degrees for about 25 minutes, 
until the top get golden and crunchy.


It will still be plenty cheesy inside!




It's pretty easy and your family will love it!! 
 You can substitute whatever cheeses you have on hand for this recipe.
  I never make the same one twice!!

Are you back in your kitchen making comfort food now the temps are cooler?
If so, I'd love to know what you are cooking!
Please leave a comment and let me know!

Cheryl

8 comments:

  1. Ok, I am going to make this one for sure. I have a bunch of cheese I need to use up, so this is perfect. Thanks for the recipe. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marty - it's a good way to use up cheese you have on-hand...I never use the same cheeses twice in a row...it is good with a spicy Havarti cheese too!! Let me know how you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ow wow Cheryl, I am so hungry and this looks so good. I will try adding the Dijon mustard the next time I make Mac & Cheese. We make a lot of omelets with different kinds of cheeses. I always have a couple on ounces of cheese left in the bottom of the bag and I really hate to waste good food. Next Sunday the weather is supposed to take a downturn in temperatures, I think this recipe will be on the menu for our comfort food Sunday. After all one needs to be well nourished to watch football.

    Have a great day,
    Candy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Candy - I hope you enjoy it!! Let me know how you like it!

      Delete
  4. This must taste so good, Cheryl, with all that cheesy goodness! In the last week, I made a beef stew and some spaghetti sauce that my mom used to make; both are comfort foods for me.

    I'll look forward to your next recipe.

    -Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen...it is good but it is never the same twice because I throw in different cheeses each time!

      Delete
  5. Loved your comment on my blog today! :) You are so right about the handyman threat! And this recipe looks fantastic. Pinning it so I can make it for my oldest. This is his kind of dinner!

    Angela @ Number Fifty-Three

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Angela - I hope your son enjoys it - it's my son's favourite meal and one he asks for often!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog...please feel free to leave a comment or ask questions...and if you like this post - PLEASE SHARE!!!